BIG roasted tomato saucePosted: September 23, 2014
This makes about 3 liters of sauce, so prepare to store or feed accordingly.
- approximately 100 fresh roma tomatoes
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2tbsp. pepper
- 4 whole garlic bulbs with their tops chopped off
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 1 tbsp. nutmeg
- 1/3 c. dried oregano
- 2 large roasting pans.
not-so-Pro Tip: I have a 17″ roaster with a lid and I use both the pan and the lid for roasting all manner of things (including this recipe) when I need that kind of dual duty, like so:
it’s a kitchen essential in my world because it performs so well, has a gazillion uses and only costs about $30 at Canadian Tire.
- preheat your oven to 275.
- wash and halve the tomatoes.
- divide the halved tomatoes evenly between your roasting pans.
- sprinkle the salt, pepper, diced onion, oregano and nutmeg evenly between both pans.
- place two garlic bulbs in each pan.
- drizzle the oil evenly between both pans.
- toss to coat everything in the oily, herby, alliumy, spicy loveliness.
- make sure your garlic bulbs are right side up.
- put them in the oven.
- after 2 hours, turn the heat up to 400 and cook for another 20 minutes.
- toss everything into one pan.
- squish the squishy roasted garlics out of their bulbs and into the sauce.
- grind it all together with an immersion blender.
- serve over rigatoni with chili flakes and a metric pantload of asiago cheese, like so:
not-so-Pro Tip: I’m really serious about serving this with rigatoni for the first time as this pasta is built for delivering this sauce cradled gently in its grooves. try it. you’ll like it.