recipe: mushroom & black bean chiliPosted: November 3, 2014
A’ight. I’m trying to deal with the backlog of recipe requests, but I really had to share this one because it will definitely be a go-to when I’m craving warmth + bright flavours through the dark seasons.
This recipe is adapted from/inspired by this recipe that I did not follow. I amped up the veg content and (I feel) made it prettier with the addition of corn, peppers and cilantro. It’s also entirely vegan (unless you use the cheese that I did). It also goes together in under an hour (unless you’re making your own polenta, like I did) and will give you about 8 lumberjack sized servings for under 15 quid.
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped/crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin (can be whole or ground)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cup of portabello mushrooms, large diced
- 1 tbsp oregano or thyme (or a combination thereof)
- 1 can (or about 2 cups) of diced or stewed tomatoes (crushed tomatoes are not recommended)
- 3 tbsp chipotles and adobo (I tossed chipotles in whole and that was not appreciated – you may want to chop yours up)
- 1 bottle of PBR
- 1 can (or about 1 cup) of corn
- 2 red bell peppers, large diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional, but worth it)
- heat oil over medium heat in a large, heavy saucepan.
- add the onion, garlic, salt and spices and cook until the onions are translucent, stirring on the regular.
- stir in the mushrooms and cook for about two minutes.
- stir in the tomatoes, peppers, beer, herbs and chipotles and cook for 10 minutes.
- turn the heat up to medium-high, stir in the beans and corn and cook for another 10 minutes.
- stir in the cilantro.
- serve over polenta with a good helping of cheese and ground black pepper on top.